The Lylburn Downing School is located at 300 Diamond Street in the City of Lexington, Virginia.
Prior to the construction of the Lylburn Downing School, black students in Lexington received a public education at the Colored Graded School, a dilapidated five-room school located next to the Randolph Street Methodist Church.
The school's namesake, Reverend Lylburn L. Downing, preached the dedication sermon September 11, 1927.
The Lylburn Downing School opened its doors for the first day of classes September 12th, 1927 with an enrollment of 182 black students who attended grades 1 through 9. By 1929, students were graduating from grades 1-7, and two years of high school.
In 1939-40 a two story, two-room wing was added to house the Home Economics and Industrial Arts classes. Eleventh and twelfth-grade instruction was eventually provided after 1942 when Rockbridge County and Lexington consolidated schools.
Information gathered from National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. It can be read in its entirety at the following website:
We are having a PICNIC in the park July 1st, 2017, Lexington, VA.
Go to the NEWS TAB above for more information.
We hope to see you there.